Saturday, March 27, 2010

Equipment

I've been asked 3 times in the last 2 days what camera and lens I would recommend so I thought I would address it here. I'll be honest, we are super busy right now so this will be brief, AND, I may not be back for a while, AND, Gary buys all of our equipment so he would be the better person to ask...

Our Camera Equipment:
Canon 40D (Mine which I love because of the frames per second which is greater than Gary's and the large view screen)
Canon 5D (Gary's which he loves because it has a full frame sensor and it has a great auto focus)
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L series lens (wide angle..Gary and I both love this one as it is very versatile. It can be used in ANY situation)
Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens (prime lens...the lens I use most with my kids around the house. Great shots, small and light, affordable)
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L series lens (telephoto lens...I love the way the shots look but I find it a little impractical, large and heavy, Gary loves it and uses it a lot).
And then a few other `back up' lenses:)

So, what would I recommend for you?
Well, it totally depends on what you want to use it for and what you are willing to spend. It seems like most people are looking for a good camera for their every day lives. So, I only know Canon's so I will just give you my opinion. Again, just my opinion. Say you are willing to spend $500.00, this is what I would say to do:

1. BODY
Buy a used Canon 20D from someone you know/trust who has a gently used one. People are upgrading quickly so often they are not used for very long. You can get one off of craigslist for less than $300.00. Obviously if you are going this route, you need to know what questions to ask but I will say that we have bought the majority of our camera and lenses second hand and have never had a problem whatsoever.

2. LENSES
Okay, so again, this is if you only have $500.00 to spend and you've already spent $300.00 on the body. What would I recommend? Hmmm...I'd say that the two most useful lenses are our 50mm prime lens and the 24-70mm wide angle. So, you can get a cheaper prime lens, maybe a 50mm f/1.8. You could also get a third party lens like our Tamron 17-55mm lens. Not as good, but does the trick.

If you are wanting to get a good lens, and able to spend a little more, we really, really love the three that I listed at the top. The 70-200mm is difficult to use in tight spaces so it is the least practical (I think, Gary might disagree). It's good for wedding ceremonies, sports, or outdoor photography. A good lens makes such a huge difference.

So I know this was brief and not super informative but that's all I've got. I would highly recommend getting a nice camera and then, learning how to use it:)

Do you have a favourite lens (whether you own it or not)?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this - it's so helpful (above and beyond all your answers to my endless emails!).

    at this point, i have no favorite lens because I've only been able to use the 28-100mm that I'm borrowing. i hope i'll be able to have an answer to that question soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute favourite lens is my Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 -- it's very similar to a 70-200mm lens on a full-frame. On my camera it provides a weather-sealed, rugged package. The pictures it gives me are just great!

    Having said that, my recommendation for gear purchases is now completely steered away from lenses. Learning how to shape, sculpt, colour and otherwise control light is more important than the glass you use to get it into the camera. Reflectors, flags, flashes, etc. are all important and are generally overlooked tools in the quest for new and better gear. On the plus side, they are also cheaper! :-)

    ReplyDelete