Monday, August 1, 2011

Great Professional Development

I'm back. I've decided to start posting on here again. Really, I think it's going to be super small tidbits here and there that hopefully one person will find interesting:) I had stopped because there are so many great photography sites out there and I felt silly. However, I feel like I have some stuff to share, so I will!

Recently, Gary and I booked a photo session with Megan to have a fun date for our 6th wedding anniversary. It was so fun and actually some great professional development. I would say that if you are a photographer, yet never experienced being the subject of a session, do it!

Here are some things I learned:

1. Each photographer has their own style and you hire them for them. If someone hires me, I need to be confident and do my thing. Sure, I ask if there are specific things they are looking for, but really, it's my work they've seen and want and so I'll do it. I don't need to worry about being `artsier' or `pose-ier' or someone else, I'm me. Megan did her thing and I loved it. It was 70% like us and 30% different and I liked that.

2. It is good to give couples a good idea of what to expect during a session and to give them little tips as well. Example: It will be one hour long, bring some lip gloss to touch up, we'll do an outfit change half way if you like, we'll be walking around to about 4 different spots, please let me know if there are any pictures you must have or things you don't like, close your eyes when kissing (GARY!!!) etc.

3. It good to let them know it's okay to be nervous and that actually it will end up being really fun. I was nervous being photographed but we had so much fun! Gary even gave that date a 9/10 which is pretty much the highest ever in his books:)

4. Let the photographer know if there is something to look out for. Gary's left eye is a little lazy and he blinks a lot. I should've told Megan earlier to make sure she got the shots she wanted with his eyes open:) Let the photographer know if you have a better side, or if you don't like your profile, or if you tend to blink a lot etc. I realized throughout the session that my smile is just way too big:)

5. Tell the clients to speak up if something feels awkward or they don't know what to do with a hand...nothing worse than an awkward hand/arm.

So, if you are a photographer, or an aspiring one, I recommend booking a session with someone you admire! Also, if you are looking to have a fun date, a photo session sure is a good one:) Talking about a fun date, I would love, love, love to capture a wedding proposal. Just saying. I've done a bunch of other types of session of natural, raw moments (like the birth of a baby) and I would love to candidly catch a proposal.

Have a great week!
Louise


1 comment: