Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Shooting in Low Light Without Flash

This past weekend we photographed a wedding at this gorgeous church; Canadian Memorial Church.
There was not a lot of light inside and they have a `no flash' rule. So, what did we do?

1. Arrive early. We were able to walk around and test the light available in various parts of the church. We tried out several options to see what would work best during the ceremony.


2. One of the options that worked was having the 70-200mm lens set up on a tripod in the back of the church. This shot, above, was taken at just 1/13th shutter speed (ISO 1000 f/2.8). Hand held, I always like my shutter speed above 1/80th. Just my preference:)


3. What worked best? Our prime lenses! I was able to shoot the wedding using the 85mm f/1.8 and I wasn't sad at all that I couldn't use my external flash to bounce in some light. Gary used the 50mm f/1.4.

Another option that we did have along was the monopod (provides stability for the lower shutter speeds) but it does make it tough to move around and get the shots you want/need.

Overall, such a gorgeous church for a wedding ceremony and I'm thankful for a variety of lenses!

No comments:

Post a Comment