Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Cut Off

When taking or cropping a picture, leave the joints in the picture. Do not cut off a picture at a wrist, elbow, knee or ankle. It looks wrong. The picture on the left could be salvageable if I crop them at their biceps but the far right is much better as it's cropped at their thighs.

Picture that cut off the ankles and feet are probably one of my greatest pet peeves. Not saying we don't do it, sometimes you're thinking about a billion other things. But ya, leave the joints in the picture!

3 comments:

  1. I quickly reviewed some of my latest posts to see if I had cut off joints...and I did...dang. Good reminder. One more thing to remember when composing. Good tip Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny....I do this all the time. Sometimes I take a picture, say of the kids on the couch, and I hate the way I can see the wall above the top of the couch. I crop the picture to take that out and end up cutting out body parts. I suppose I should get over it and leave their poor little feet and arms in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, i went back and tried something new. I took a photo where I had cropped it poorly and found that if I changed the dimensions from 4/6 to 8/10 I could crop out the top of the couch and keep the limbs in!!

    ReplyDelete