Friday, July 17, 2009

Rule of Thirds and a Little Extra

Okay, this is one of the most basic tips in photography known as the Rule of Thirds. In case you don't know it, here ya go! Basically, picture your frame broken into 3 X 3 segments for a total of 9 squares. Does that make sense?

You want your main subject(s)/objects to be on one of the vertical and/or the horizontal lines, generally you don't want them right in the center. I realize the tree is in the center but read on. You want your horizon to either fall on the top or bottom third and not directly in the middle of your frame. In the above picture, the grass lines up perfectly with the bottom third and the kids are in the bottom right third (although they were running fast, could've gotten them a bit earlier as they are fast approaching the center!).
Here the girls are standing on the right line and...another tip, there is `space in front of face'. They are looking/facing the left side of the photo. It wouldn't look as good if they were facing the right in this photo.
Here they are on the right third again AND there is `space in front of face'. It draws you in and you follow their eyes to the left. It's just more natural looking too.
Finally, rules are definitely made to be broken. Although, I really try not to mess with the Rule of Thirds in regards to the horizon. When you have a close up of a face, it looks fantastic to have the face centered, AND you will notice that the eyes are generally on the top third line which does follow the rule, just in case you thought you were breaking it.
Happy photographing and rule breaking!

5 comments:

  1. Great tips, Louise!
    I am trying to get into photography myself and I love your hints and tips!
    You take stunning pictures (as does Gary).
    I'm excited to hear other photography thoughts from you!
    Francine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to come back and read when my brain is working at a fuller capacity. Thanks for sharing these tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you take the picture with those measurements in mind or do you ever crop it after?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take the picture with those measurements in mind because if I crop it afterwards, I will lose out on whatever else I wanted in the picture. Ex. If I want to crop it so part of the top is missing, I will also be removing part of the side to keep the aspect ratio...you want a 4X6 to stay a 4X6.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips and what a great idea! Really like this last tip and will keep it in mind when taking photos. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete